- My baby is starting solid foods…should I get a baby food maker?
- Benefits of Making Homemade Food for Your Baby
- What to look for in a baby food maker…
- I already have a blender and/or steamer…do I really need a baby food maker?
- Best Baby Food Makers:
- Comparing the Best Baby Food Maker Machines
My baby is starting solid foods…should I get a baby food maker?
Entering the world of solids for your baby can be really exciting but can also bring so many questions! Buying a baby food maker (when almost every one of them comes with great recipe booklets!) can put your mind at ease and help you create delicious and wholesome meals for your baby to try!
Without a baby food maker, prepping baby’s food can be really exhausting and frustrating. At the end of an eventful day with your little one, cooking feels like it’s just one more thing on that never-ending to-do list.
Buying the right baby food maker is key to creating delicious, healthy and easy meals for your baby. After you’ve changed the diapers, cleaned the house and put all the toys away – we hope to make your baby meal prep time easy and quick!
Once you pick out your baby food maker, you will be zooming around the kitchen like a 5-star chef (if 5-star chefs have mom-buns instead of chef hats and milk-stained shirts instead of white coats.)
Benefits of Making Homemade Food for Your Baby
Mom life is busy, overwhelming and sometimes it’s just pure exhaustion. In no way are we saying the homemade food is the only option, and you most certainly should not feel any kind of guilt if you don’t serve your baby homemade meals every day.
What we ARE saying is making homemade baby food can be a lot easier than you think when you have the right baby food maker – and you can totally do it! Of course, sometimes there are instances behind our control or a variety of other situations where you won’t be able to make homemade baby food. However, we are hoping this post will make the homemade baby food process so easy for you that you will be able to do it even on the most stressful and busy days!
Here are a few reasons to buy a baby food maker;
- It can be really fun and boost your confidence as a mom to know exactly what your baby is eating
- Can save you money in the end (baby food jars are expensive!)
- More nutritional value (some nutrition may be lost in jarred baby food with the added preservatives)
- Baby can eat (basically) the same food as the rest of the family, makes that transition a lot easier
- Helps you know in advance what kind of meals your baby will be eating that week (batch-cooking with baby food makers is super easy!)
- Store-bought baby food can have added preservatives/sugars that you may not notice
- You can introduce your baby to new foods that aren’t always available in jarred baby food
- If your baby has allergies, you can prevent an allergic reaction easier if you make the food yourself
- Start your baby with healthy eating habits, routines (certain fruits for breakfast, specific vegetables for dinner, etc)
What to look for in a baby food maker…
Is it easy to use? Is this food maker something you will be able to easily use on a daily basis? The goal is to find a system you’re most comfortable using and can figure out quickly.
Will it store easily? If you have limited counter space, you may want to consider a smaller model or one that is easily stored.
Is it cleaned easily? The last thing you need is a huge, difficult to clean mess when you’re done batch cooking your baby’s favorite meals. Go for an easy to clean/dishwasher safe model!
Does it have more than one function (steaming/processing)? Having a machine that steams, blends and mashes your baby food makes your life that much simpler!
Can it be used for anything other than baby food? For example, some baby food makers can also serve as juicers/blenders.
Is it portable/for travel? If you’re a mom-on-the-go or a family who travels, you may want to consider this when buying your baby food maker. Go for a small, portable one!
I already have a blender and/or steamer…do I really need a baby food maker?
This is the question I first asked myself when looking into baby food makers. I already had a great blender and a steamer – so did I really need another device for baby’s food?
YES! For many reasons, and here are a few…
- baby food makers are designed specifically with your baby in mind – meaning no BPA or harsh chemicals are used in the making of the product(s).
- many baby food makers are easier to clean (removable parts, dishwasher safe) – as they are used more frequently than a regular blender or steamer
- all in one place, a baby maker usually has many functions so you don’t have to go around using different machines for steaming and blending.
- baby food makers are also generally fairly portable and could be taken with you on your travels or simply when visiting friends.
Best Baby Food Makers:
We love this system because it’s the ultimate all-in-one machine – steam, blend, reheat, and defrost healthy homemade baby food in just 15 minutes!
:Product Weight: 4.2 pounds
Product Dimensions: 10.3 x 9.3 x 7.8 inches
Note: Power input restriction supports 120v only
- 4 functions in 1 appliance
- One-handed controls
- Compact size (stores conveniently)
- Easy to clean – dishwasher safe and BPA FREE
- Quiet motor
- Power input restriction = supports 120v only
- Not durable
We love this system because it’s easy, fast and has you completely covered! The baby bullet package includes power base, batch bowl, baby blend blade, milling blade, easy pop silicone batch tray, 6-date dial storage cups, spatula, 1 short cup, 1 stay-fresh resealable lid and tip proof tray. WOW – that’s just about everything you need!
Product Weight: 5.8 pounds
Product Dimensions: 12.1 x 10.6 x 9 inches
- Blends, grinds, chops, and mills
- Plastic (BPA-Free) dishwasher-safe parts
- Comes with storage containers, spatula, batch tray and 1 short cup
- Non-microwave cups
- Only has one blend speed
- Isn’t able to steam baby food
This is your go-to batch-making machine right here. With a cup capacity that can produce 17+ servings of baby food at once, this is a time saver!
Product Weight: 6 pounds
Product Dimensions: 7 x 9 x 10 inches
- Baby-safe auto shut off (audible alert)
- One-handed operation
- 4-in-1 capability; steam, blends, reheat and defrost
- Stainless steel water reservior
- Dishwasher-safe components
- Not durable
- Difficult to clean out water reservior
- Not very reliable (long term)
This system is precise, durable and reliable – with an 18-month warranty, this product comes with a recipe booklet, spatula, bottle adapter ring and measuring cup. What we love about this machine is that it’s a bottle warmer too (saves us counter space!)
Product Weight: 10 pounds
Product Dimensions: 7.8 x 12.2 x 10 inches
- Steam, chop/pureé and bottle warmer functions
- Blade lock system (holds blade in place while pouring)
- Powerful motor for quick steaming
- 18-month warranty
- If you already have a bottle warmer, that function isn’t needed
- Motor can wear quickly
- Needs to be cleaned very well/quickly after use to avoid buildup
This 5-in-1 system is another batch-cooker’s paradise! Making up to 25 servings of fresh food for your baby, this food maker can also be used as a bottle warmer and sterilizer!!
Product Weight: 7.8 pounds
Product Dimensions: 16 x 9 x 12 inches
- 2 steamer baskets
- Powerful blender
- Programmable for various cook times
- Make about 25 servings of fresh and nutritious food
- Cooks, blends, warms and defrosts your food
- Can be used as a bottle warmer/sterilizer
- LCD display and audio alerts
- Not easily movable, doesn’t store easily/conveniently
- Dis-assemble to clean
This compact system goes back to basics; steams, chops, slices and purres your baby’s food. Comes with 10 food containers and a healthy recipe booklet!
Product Weight: 6.4 pounds
Product Dimensions: 8.8 x 11.8 x 13.1 inches
- Steams, chops, shreds, slices and purees
- BPA free
- Comes with 10 food containers for easy storage
- Recipe booklet included
- Difficult to clean
- Requires a lot of power
- Blades are very sharp – may scratch the bowl
Your child’s health and happiness are important to you and choosing the baby food maker that will be easiest for you is important to us! To make this process easier, we have put together an easy to read comparison chart so that you can see how each of these products measure up against one another.
Comparing the Best Baby Food Maker Machines
|QOOC 4-in-1 Mini Baby Food Maker||$$||steam, blend, reheat, and defrost||recipe booklet||4.5 / 5|
|Magic Bullet Baby Bullet Baby Care Systemt|
|$||blends, grinds, chops, and mills||6 storage containers, spatula, batch tray , resealable lid and 1 short cup||4.2 / 5|
|BEABA Babycook 4 in 1 Steam Cooker and Blender||$$$||steam, blend, reheat and defrost||stainless steel water reservoir, large 4.7 cup bowl, spatula, mixing lid/smoothie filter and recipe/menu booklet included||3.9 / 5|
|Cuisinart BFM-1000 Baby Food Maker and Bottle Warmer||$$||steam, chop/pureé and bottle warmer||recipe booklet, spatula, bottle adapter ring and integrated measuring cup included |
(18 month warranty)
|3.9 / 5|
|Babymoov Nutribaby - 5 in 1 Baby Food Maker|
|$$||steams, blends, warms and defrosts||LCD display and audio alerts, cooks, blends, warms and defrosts your food, can be used as a bottle warmer/sterilizer||4.1 / 5|
|Hamilton Beach 36533 Bebe Baby Food Maker||$||steams, chops, shreds, slices and purees||10 food containers (okay for reheating and freezing), baby food guide||3.5 / 5|