- What are the Best Breast Milk Enhancers?
- Compare and Choose
- Reasons for Decrease in Milk Production
- Natural Breast Milk Enhancers
- Supplemental Breast Milk Enhancers
- The Best Breast Milk Enhancers
- Pink Stork Liquid Gold Organic Loose Leaf Tea
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Organic Milkmaid Tea
- Yogi Tea Woman’s Nursing Support
- Pink Stork True Milk Organic Breastfeeding Support
- The Honest Company Postnatal Lactation Plus Multivitamin
- New Chapter Perfect Postnatal and Lactation Supplement
- Natal Nourish Lactation and Breastfeeding Support
- WishGarden Herbs Milk Rich
- WishGarden Herbs Happy Ducts
- MILKFUL Lactation Bars
- Keep in Mind
What are the Best Breast Milk Enhancers?
Almost all new moms can say that at one point or another, they’ve had trouble with their breast milk supply. This is especially true for first-time moms. Enhancing your breast milk supply can be achieved through a number of natural and supplemental methods. The best breast milk enhancers vary from changes in health habits and diet to natural supplements and vitamin intake.
Compare and Choose
Use this table to compare and choose the best breast milk enhancers for you!
|Pink Stork Liquid Gold Organic Loose Leaf Tea||$$||Boosts Milk Supply and Flow, Comprised of 7 organic herbs including galactagogues,|
Helps with Colic and gassy newborns,
100% organic and non-GMO,
|Earth Mama Angel Baby Organic Milkmaid Tea||$$||100% organic, non-GMO ingredients, |
Contains galactagogues which improve milk production and flow,
Soothes and calms nerves for mom,
Can be served hot or iced.
|Yogi Tea Woman's Nursing Support||$$||Organic, Non-GMO,|
Kosher and Gluten-Free,
Compostable Tea Bags,
No Artificial Flavors or Sweeteners,
Relaxing lavender and chamomile for mom,
Promotes increased lactation and improved flow.
|Pink Stork True Milk Organic Breastfeeding Support||$$$||Improves breast milk flow and supply,|
Enriches breast milk to taste sweeter,
Improves nutrition for mom and baby,
|The Honest Company Postnatal Lactation Plus Multivitamin||$||Organic, non-GMO,|
Supports healthy lactation, increased milk production, and improved flow,
No artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors,
Tested for quality and purity standards.
|New Chapter Perfect Postnatal and Lactation Supplement||$$||Postnatal vitamins and minerals,|
Supports lactation, Improves mom's energy and mood,
Probiotics and DHA for baby's development,
Vegetarian, Certified Kosher, Certified Gluten Free.
|Natal Nourish Lactation and Breastfeeding Support||$$$||Supports increased milk supply,|
Liquid formula with no bad taste,
|WishGarden Herbs Milk Rich||$$$||Supports healthy breast milk,|
Increases milk supply,
Liquid formula with no bad taste
|WishGarden Herbs Happy Ducts||$||Supports immune health,|
Supports healthy lymphatic system and breast health,
Helps to clear clogged ducts that cause decreased supply,
Natural, non-GMO ingredients.
|MILKFUL Lactation Bars||$$$$||Helps boost milk supply,|
High in protein and fiber,
Low in sugar,
Soy, egg, wheat, and dairy free,
Gives mom more energy.
Reasons for Decrease in Milk Production
A question commonly asked by breastfeeding moms is WHY they are experiencing a low supply of breast milk. Sometimes, even when you are in perfect health and are consuming the proper diet, it may seem that your baby is not getting enough milk.
If you suspect that your baby isn’t getting enough breast milk, seek advice from your doctor or pediatrician.
So what causes a decrease in breast milk supply? Reasons for this can include:
- Illnesses such as common cold, flu, and other viruses and infections
- Baby isn’t latching on properly
- Plugged milk duct
- Not nursing often enough
- Certain medications including antihistamines, decongestants, diuretics, and birth control
- Consuming alcoholic beverages
- Improper or imbalanced diet
How to Know if Your Baby isn’t Getting Enough Milk
Signs that your little one is not receiving enough breast milk from you include:
- A decrease in weight, or plateau in weight gain (meaning they are not losing any weight, but are not gaining weight as they should over the weeks)
- Frequent crying, especially right after a feeding
- A decrease in soiled diapers (your baby should average 5-8 wet diapers per day and 2 or more soiled diapers per day)
- Your baby seems to be lethargic and sleep more rather than less as the weeks pass
Something to keep in mind if it feels like your baby is always hungry is that your baby is growing, and sometimes their growth rate increases tremendously over a short period, also known as a “growth spurt”.
During a growth spurt, your baby’s daily milk intake will increase quickly, and it may take a few days for your body to adjust to this and begin producing the increased amount of milk that your little one needs. During these times, it’s a good idea to breastfeed very frequently. Stay the course, mama! Your body will catch up, and the more your baby feeds and stimulates your breasts, the more milk you will produce!
What to Do about Decreased Milk Supply
With all this information in mind, what are some things you can do if you experience decreased milk production?
- Contact a lactation consultant
- Consult with a dietician or nutritional specialist
- Speak to your doctor or pediatrician
- Nurse your baby as often as possible
- Pump between feedings if necessary
Natural Breast Milk Enhancers
Natural methods of boosting your breastmilk production will include changes in your lifestyle and a focus on your health and diet. Focusing on your health, eating a well-balanced diet, and limiting intake of certain foods and beverages, which we will list here, will help you to maintain your breast milk supply. We will also list certain foods and food groups that will help to increase your breast milk production.
Your health is a key factor in the production of your breast milk. If you are in poor health, you are likely to see a decrease in your supply. While breastfeeding, your health is important to both you and your baby. You have to take care of you in order to take care of your little love.
- Rest: You need to get as much rest as possible. Fatigue is one of the most common causes of decreased milk supply. We know this is so much easier said than done. You’ve got a new baby, you’ve got a home to take care of, you may have other children to tend to, perhaps you have a spouse or significant other who is working while you stay home and depends on you to do your part at home. We know that our partners want to help as much as they can and to share the load of the work/home balance, but they depend on you equally as you depend on them. Becoming overwhelmed with the tasks before you tends to regular and plentiful rest nearly an impossible feat. Our advice: any chance you get. ANY chance, even if it’s just a 30-minute nap, take it!
- Wellness: Illness is also a common culprit of low milk supply. Common colds, flu, and other viruses and infections take a toll on your body. Once these things take hold of your health, your body tends to focus on the healing process and puts milk production on the back burner. Don’t ignore health issues! See your doctor right away to be treated for these problems. If you are well, you are able to take care of your little one properly, as well as all the other tasks in your day to day life.
Consuming a healthy and well-balanced diet will keep your breast milk production where it needs to be to satisfy your baby’s need.
- Caloric Intake: Be sure to eat anywhere from 400-500 more calories than your normal recommended intake when breastfeeding to adequately fuel your body’s energy supply.
- Hydration: Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day! An average adult should consume eight 8 ounce glasses of water per day for a total of 64 ounces. For breastfeeding moms, the rule of thumb is generally to increase your intake by 32 ounces for a total of 96 ounces or twelve 8 ounce glasses of water per day.
- Foods to Avoid: Avoid excessive sugars, alcoholic beverages, and caffeine such as Coffee, Tea, Soda, and Chocolate. Excessive amounts of certain herbs including Sage, Parsley, Oregano, Jasmine, Menthol, Peppermint, Chasteberry, and Yarrow can also negatively affect your breast milk supply.
- Consume These Foods Daily: Be sure to eat foods that are rich in lean protein, iron, calcium, fiber, B-vitamins, D-vitamins, and C-vitamins. Foods like chicken and turkey breast, eggs, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, and leafy greens are very important to your diet when breastfeeding.
- To Increase your Milk Supply: Many grains, fruits, vegetables, and herbs have been known to help increase your breast milk production. Add oats, barley, fennel seeds, brewer’s yeast, papaya, spinach, fenugreek, and apricots to your diet to give your milk supply a boost!
Supplemental Breast Milk Enhancers
Certain vitamin and herbal supplements have been proven to help increase breast milk production. Give these a try if you need a boost in your milk supply:
- B-12 supplements
- Vitamin D supplements
- Blessed Thistle capsules
- Milk Thistle capsules
- Fennel Seed capsules
- Fenugreek Capsules
The Best Breast Milk Enhancers
If you’re looking for dietary supplements to increase your breastmilk supply, we’ve made a list here for you of the best supplements for breast milk enhancement, which are available in teas, capsules, pills, and liquid drops!
Ingredients: Organic Blessed Thistle, Organic Fenugreek, Organic Marshmallow Root, Organic Fennel, Organic Anise, Organic Spearmint, Organic Licorice
This 100% organic and non-GMO tea promotes increased milk production and better milk flow. It contains herbs that help to soothe gassy and colicky babies and ease upset stomach and cramps. The biodegradable sachets allow for better steeping and more flavor in each cup of tea. It tastes great hot or cold!
- Organic and non-GMO ingredients
- Improves milk production and flow
- Soothes gassy and colicky infants
- Only 10 bags per package
Ingredients: Organic fenugreek seed, organic fennel seed, organic red raspberry leaf, organic stinging nettle leaf, organic milk thistle seed, organic orange peel, organic anise seed, organic caraway seed, organic alfalfa leaf
This fragrant blend of organic and non-GMO herbs not only increases your milk production but can provide calming and soothing relief from stress and fatigue for you too, mama. It includes a recommended recipe for the traditional serving of this tea, which involves adding organic vanilla creamer, ground cinnamon, and ground ginger (which sounds so incredibly tasty!). Can be served hot or iced.
- Organic and non-GMO ingredients
- Increases milk production and flow
- Stress relief for moms
- Some users reported gas/bloating
Ingredients: Organic chamomile flower, organic lavender flower, organic fennel seed, organic fenugreek seed, organic anise seed, organic nettle leaf
This tea is full of goodness for both mom and baby! Organic fennel, fenugreek, and anise promote increased lactation and improved flow of nursing. Organic lavender and chamomile provide soothing calm for stressed and fatigued new moms. This tea is caffeine free and made with all organic, non-GMO ingredients. Compostable tea bags made this a great choice for the environment as well!
- Organic and non-GMO ingredients
- Compostable tea bags
- Increases milk production and improves flow
- Stress relief for mom
- Some users described a bitter taste and needed to add honey or sugar
Ingredients: Organic fenugreek seed powder, organic blessed thistle powder, organic milk thistle extract, organic fennel seed powder, organic goats rue powder.
This dietary supplement contains traditional herbs that increase milk supply and improve flow. It also contains herbs that inrich the flavor and nutritional content of breast milk. The nutritional value of the ingredients found in this supplement benefit both mom and baby! Made with 100% organic and non-GMO ingredients.
- Increases milk supply and improves flow
- Enriches taste and nutritional content of breast milk
- Added nutrition for both mom and baby
- Organic and non-GMO ingredients
- Mixed reviews seem to show effectiveness is not guaranteed
Ingredients: Organic fenugreek seed powder, organic fennel seed powder, organic milk thistle seed extract, organic Shatavari root powder, organic marshmallow root extract
This supplement supports healthy lactation, increased milk supply, and improved flow. It is made with organic and non-GMO ingredients. The Honest Co. brings you a gluten free supplement with no added artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors.
- Organic and non-GMO ingredients
- Supports healthy lactation
- Gluten free with no additives
- Some users reported gas and bloating
Ingredients: Multivitamins, Organic oat, organic lemon balm, organic chamomile, organic lavender, organic cardamom, organic kelp powder, organic black cumin, organic turmeric
This supplement combines a postnatal multivitamin and lactation booster in one! Each serving contains a full multivitamin complex for postnatal recovery, as well as herbal complexes for postnatal soothing and lactation support. Easy on your stomach as well as your baby’s stomach, it contains probiotics and DHA for healthy development for your little one!
- Postnatal multivitamin
- Herbal complex soothes mom and baby
- Supports healthy lactation and flow
- Probiotics and DHA for baby’s development
- Organic and Non-GMO ingredients
- Supports healthy lactation but lacks some traditional ingredients for increased milk supply
Ingredients: Fenugreek seed, fennel seed, blessed thistle, anise seed, red raspberry leaf, turmeric
This fast-acting liquid formula promotes milk flow and increased supply without a bad taste. Studies show that the body absorbs almost 3 times the amount of ingredients found in a liquid formula versus a pill or capsule, and 80% of ingredients in liquid formulas are absorbed within 30 minutes. Use this supplement if you need a quick boost in your supply!
- No bad taste
- Promotes increased supply and improved flow
- A bit pricey
- Ingredients are natural but not certified organic
Ingredients: Raspberry leaf, nettle leaf, blessed thistle, goats rue, fennel seed, fenugreek seed
This liquid formula contains natural ingredients grown and harvested sustainably. Nourishing herbs promote healthy breast milk for your body while helping to increase supply and improve flow. No bad aftertaste. Fast-acting liquid formula.
- Promotes healthy breast milk
- Increases supply and improves flow
- Natural ingredients
- Contains alcohol
- Ingredients are natural but not organic
Ingredients: Usnea lichen, elderflower, bee propolis, yarrow, Baptisia root, boneset, hops, Echinacea Purpurea root, red root
If the reason for your decreased milk supply is clogged ducts, this product is for you! A blend of natural ingredients that promote lymphatic and breast health, which allows for the clearing of clogged ducts. This non-GMO liquid formula promotes a healthy immune response and is intended for short-term use.
- Initiates immune response to clear clogged ducts
- Promotes lymphatic and breast health
- Non-GMO and natural ingredients
- For short term use only
Ingredients: (Varies by flavor) Organic rolled oats, organic brown rice syrup, organic honey, organic fenugreek powder, organic cocoa butter, organic coconut oil, various organic fruit and/or berries, various organic seeds and/or nuts.
These wholesome bars help to increase your energy and milk supply! Made with all organic ingredients and available in 3 flavors, these tasty bars give you the added nutritional benefit of whole grain, fruits, seeds, and nuts that increase your energy, as well as fenugreek powder that boosts your milk supply. Kicks sweet tooth cravings without unhealthy sugars and fats.
- Wholesome, natural ingredients
- Organic ingredients
- Boosts mom’s energy
- Boosts breast milk supply
- High in protein and fiber
- Low in sugars
Keep in Mind
You should never start a supplement without first speaking to your doctor or pediatrician. This is for your health and for the safety of your baby. If you are concerned with your milk supply being too low, consult your doctor, pediatrician, or lactation consultant, then discuss supplemental options and ask about the ones you’d like to try.